SharePoint Peru

SharePoint Colombia, Bolivia and Peru Community Recap

I just got back from an epic trip with Michael Noel, SharePoint MVP out of San Francisco, and Jeff Beaulieu the best darn insurance salesman from Riverside California.  5 days across some amazing countries and challenging myself along the way to connect with the community and having incredible experiences along the way.

Here’s a picture based blog post of our adventure…  I should have used Sway on this.

Fernando met Jeff and I at the airport.  Jeff is my brother in law, and I invited him to join us on the adventure.  He’s been wanting to tag along.  Yes, he’s very short.  He’s a dwarf or little person.

Fernando dropped us off at a hostal to get a few hours of sleep before Michael arrived and then we headed out to the Salt Mine Church

Salt Cathedral of Zipaquirá outside of Bogota.

Jorge Enrique Botoga and Lucas David San Juan picked us up in Andres Rojas wife’s car and took us out to see some sites before the meeting.

10500360_10152921387018783_8705563940191323868_n

That night we delivered a couple of sessions to the community in Bogota.  Lots of friends showed up for a rainy Friday night at the Microsoft Offices!  Special thanks to ShareCol and the special help of Fernando, Lucas and Andres!

SharePoint Colombia

On Saturday we flew into La Paz and negotiated a ride out to lake titicaca and to the ruins of Tiwanaku and Puma Punku.  I was fascinated by the pre-incan civilization and was anxious to see the site for myself.

Puma Punku Bolivia

As well, Michael and I decided to take on the adventure of the World’s Most Dangerous Road also called the Death Road.  All 3 of us completed the 65K downhill bike ride.  Incredible life experience.  We even picked up a new consulate friend.

Death Road

Below: In La Paz, we met up with the SharePoint Experts of Bolivia.  As we drove through the city they pointed out all the banks, businesses, and government institutions that use SharePoint in Bolivia.  These guys were awesome.  This really was the birth of the SharePoint Community in Bolivia and I wish them luck in their pursuits.

SharePoint Bolivia

Below: From there, we flew to Lima and were greeted by Edgard.  He took us to the city square and the catacombs.  Later we’d visit to the LDS Peru Temple (I do love visiting the temples) and visit a pyramid and walk along the boardwalk in Mira Flores.  Beautiful city.

Lima with Angel

That night we’d meet up with an awesome crowd in Lima.  We had 101 people sign up to meet us at the Microsoft Offices.  We had an awesome crowd.  Don’t underestimate the power of community to pull together an awesome event.  Great work Microsoft User Group Peru!

Microsoft User Group Peru

Azerbaijan SharePoint Community

SharePoint Community Baku Azerbaijan

In my travel quest and quest to build communities around the world and reach out the underserved emerging markets and help connect communities with our global community I visited Baku Azerbaijan.  Where is that you might ask?

Well, it’s on the Caspian sea… Sounds like Narnia a little bit.  Well, It is a magical place with a history of fire worshipers, early man sites, mud volcanoes, and fire that dances on the buildings at night.  You’ll have to read my Azerbaijan travel blog to hear more about the Fire temple and ancient petroglyphs we visited.  This magical place has a lot of Oil, and is very strategic in between Asia and Europe.  They are host of the very first European 2015 games.  This event will put Baku on the map and their place in the world will rocket.  I already see a bit of Qatar and Dubai in their skyline, but unlike those other places, there’s a lot more history and sites to see that have a fascinating past.

Flame Towers

Picture: View of Fire Towers from Old Town.  See more photos on my trip to Azerbaijan on my traveling epic blog on the “Top destinations in Azerbaijan

We worked with Microsoft to put together a 1 day event in Baku.  Special thanks to Aydin Aliyev a local Microsoft MVP and Gachay Mirzayev from Microsoft.

At this first SharePoint Saturday in Baku Azerbaijan, I talked about Enterprise Search Strategy (click to view or download the slides).

Microsoft Azerbaijan

Gobustan petroglyphs

The community is truly rich around the world. Aydin, our local friend took us to the Fire Temple, petroglyphs and night view of the flame towers, nice local cuisine and more.

splash

SharePoint Community ALS Icebucket Challenge… What’s all the Fuss about?

A couple years ago if someone asked me what ALS was I’d guess it was a technical term related to some kind of security token.  Then I found out I had a good friend who had Lou Gherigs disease.  I’d heard of that, but didn’t know anyone personally who had it.  The past few years I’ve been blessed with some incredible global travel experiences and opportunity to launch communities and training in some amazing parts of the world… from China, Vietnam, and Philippines to Uruguay, Argentina, and Chile.  After that trip I found out that our Sharing the Point reporter and blogger John Anderson, was inflicted with ALS.  At that time it was very private, but he wanted to let us know that it may be his last trip with us.  He was noticeably shaking and told us about how much harder it was to type.  We were able to do one more trip to Africa where we hiked Kilimanjaro and launched a SharePoint user group in Kenya. (Yes, the one that met a year later on the day of the shooting in Nairobi.)  John was able to go on a Serengeti safari while we were on the mountain.  This would be our last trip with him.  He is now in a wheel chair.  The Bamboo solutions team still considers him part of the team which is awesome.  They’ve seen him through this awful disease.  I’m sure he doesn’t like this attention that he’s getting.  He doesn’t want to be an example, but I think it helps to put a face to what happens.

John Anderson’s experience explained in his own IceBucket challenge

http://youtu.be/ZFbq_-GsZvI

Just a couple of weeks ago, I saw my first IceBucket challenger.  It was Bill Gates putting something he had constructed to dump ice on his head.  It was pretty awesome to see him challenge Mark Zuckerberg and see him accept.  Bonnie Surma had sent me the link and said… Wouldn’t it be great to get the SharePoint community involved in this?

I was busy with my move to the San Diego area, and while I would have loved to have gotten involved I was concerned I couldn’t give it the attention it needed. So I blew it off, until I was in Houston for work, and Naomi Moneypenny asked me if I would accept the challenge if she challenged me at the Houston SharePoint User Group meeting.  I told her… Sure! I’d accept, and please bring an extra bag of ice for me.

So Naomi takes the lead…

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152694101877803

imageimageimageimage

Kanwal, Naomi, Richard, Sean

imageimage

imageimageimage

Mark Rackley and Benjamin Niaulin and even Todd Klindt

That night 5 SharePoint people did the #ALSIceBucket challenge right in front of me.  I was last to go, and took the opportunity to challenge a few friends who were with me when John shared his ALS story.  I challenged Dux Raymond Sy @meetdux , I mentioned Bamboo in my story @bamboonation , Michael Noel @michaeltnoel , and Mark Miller @eusp .

Dux took the challenge and despite being in Singapore he arranged to make it happen.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10204157915849217&set=vb.1265814695&type=2&theater

Team Bamboo joins the challenge and challenges the SharePoint Product Team, SharePoint MVPs, and the Partners and community.  http://community.bamboosolutions.com/blogs/bambooteamblog/archive/2014/08/25/team-bamboo-is-back-to-battle-against-als-in-a-really-cool-way.aspx

Here are a few more links:

Bill Gates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS6ysDFTbLU

Satya Nadella

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YDxB6hXWYc

Jeff Bezos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFVezzjAhFY

Kermit the Frog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydQkOe-R7k8

Wes Preston

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152329394906868&set=vb.729726867&type=2&theater

Sean McDonough

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10204629540088143&set=vb.1524267525&type=2&theater

Mark Rackley

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10204574169614697&set=vb.1247691014&type=2&theater

Michael Gannotti

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152701479089047

Sarah Haase

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10203437752242904

Richard Harbridge

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152234587891975&set=vb.510601974&type=2&theater

Kanwal Kipple

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10154486946180099&set=vb.708800098&type=2&theater

Todd Klindt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cO3anx5DZY

Heather Newman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=taIOdEMN4Cw

Dan Holme

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152606689513955&set=vb.671783954&type=2&theater

SharePoint Uzbekistan

SharePoint Uzbekistan Community Launch and SharePoint Saturday

Michael Noel and I have been planning our trip to Central Asia for years!  We knew the biggest challenge would be visas.  Around Christmas time and after our wild across South American to Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana and more, I surrendered one of my Passports to Michael for 4 months to line up the most logistically challenging trip yet requiring 5+ visas. I reached out to Linked In expert Jim Bob, chief networker to help me see if I could find any SharePoint contacts in any number of the “STANS.”  Pakistan is packed with SharePoint people, but that’s a story for Michael Noel to tell, since I couldn’t get that visa in time (4-6 weeks!).

I also reached out to Timus Bazicalos was already a facebook friend and we’d be talking for at least a couple of years (maybe even five years ago) about doing a SharePoint Uzbekistan event in Tashkent, the capital of Uzbekistan.  We focused on Tashkent as the main hub of our trip, and as the anchor for the event.  Timus would help us with logistics and ultimately be a traveling companion on our tour of the silk road and help lead us to the borders of Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, and even Afghanistan.  His own visa requirements would keep him from being able to join us in those places, but it didn’t keep him from taking a week to tour the best of what Uzbekistan has to offer in some incredible ancient silk road cities of Samarkand, Bukhara, and Shakrazabh.  I’ve started blogging on my travel blog about the silk road adventure trip and a few photos of the fascinating places from my trip.

Bukhara Fountain

Silk Road Tashkent Uzbekistan

Tashkent is a fascinating city.  As the capital of Uzbekistan with over 2 million residents, as a city it is more populated than many of the countries in Europe.  It is a high tech city with great infrastructure and you can still see some signs from the former soviet republic.  While my travel was focused on the 12th century and prior, our SharePoint conversations were much more focused on the future of Uzbekistan.

SharePoint Saturday Tashkent Uzbekistan

SharePoint Saturday Uzbekistan.  Bottom row is Timus, Me with my Uzbek hat, and Michael Noel in the suit coat.  Far right is the Microsoft rep. He’s The Microsoft country manager and only MS guy in the country.  Akhadbek, is the one with the back stage pass.  He has been running a SharePoint forum for Uzbeks.  Minus our female SharePoint attendee.  I think she snuck out when we went outside for pictures.  You can see her in the picture below.  Why do I bring that up? Every country I go to has a mix of males and females, and Uzbekistan as well has female IT folks.  Women in IT and Women in SharePoint is important and I support their efforts.

SharePoint Tashkent

Speaking at SharePoint Saturday Uzbekistan.

1512209_10152165011382914_4443922067714450630_o

SharePoint is an important part of the strategy of the Republic of Uzbekistan for their Ministry of Health.

10387019_10152497262738783_5504769391057815320_o

We met with the SharePoint team at the Ministry of Health following the SharePoint Saturday after lunch.  Great conversations about responsive design, and best practices discussions on infrastructure.  Yeah, most of it was in Russian and Uzbek, so I didn’t understand most of it.

10320515_10152500274478783_6313739163631872647_n

Tina and Timus, our Uzbekistan SharePoint friend his lovely wife who were our guides who would show us the adventure of a lifetime.  I feel very blessed to find amazing SharePoint people all over the planet, and have incredible experiences and adventures.  Timus, thanks for being a great friend and my wish is for much success to you and your family and all of the SharePoint people we met.  The world just got a little bit smaller.

If you’re a SharePoint guy and wondering how to connect with other SharePoint people in Uzbekistan, they are working things out to build a user group that will meet regularly.  Forums: http://uforum.uz/ join the Russian speaking community in Yammer: http://yammer.com/spyam

SharePoint Saturday Jamaica

Birth of the SharePoint Community in Jamaica #SPSJamaica

I’ve personally been fascinated by Jamaica since before I started traveling.  I really enjoy the reggae music. Bob Marley and the Whalers had a huge impact on the world of music.  As a student of the world’s religions I am also fascinated by the Rastafari movement and the connections with King Solomon and have read the Kebra Negast, when preparing for my trip to Ethiopia and in understanding culture of Eastern Africa and my visit to Emperor Haile Selassie I tomb in Addis Abba. (You can read more about my travels to Ethiopia to the Rock Hewn Churches and the Empire and castles of Gandor Ethiopia. Connections even go deeper when I think about my Jamaican friends and how happy they are, and how addictive the smiles of my friends.

SharePoint Community Jamaica

The story of my visit to Jamaica for SharePoint Saturday stars with a conversation with a close friend.  Fabian Williams, a popular SharePoint personality known for his deep technical knowledge in the DC area in the federal space, but also as a popular SharePoint speaker.  I was among speaker friends at the speaker dinner in Virginia Beach, not far from where I had encountered my first Rastafarian friend in Hampton 20 years earlier.  I’m always up for a good adventure, so when Fabian asked “So, when are we going to do Jamaica?” I responded with, I’m ready and a few others expressed interest including Naomi Moneypenny.  We talked about our visit to some Jamaican stops in Fort Lauderdale, including the Jerk Chicken and goat.  Incredible food.  I looked at my calendar and realized I’d be in Orlando at the beginning of April.  So I said, if we can make it happen the weekend of March 29th, I can be there.  Others said they were free, and I set off to make it happen.  One thing about me, if I put my mind to it, I can make it happen.  My friends know this.

Later I was talking to Roger Taylor on Facebook from Jamaica, and he shared that he *REALLY* wanted to come and speak, and that he hadn’t been back in 23 years.  I knew for Roger this trip was going to mean a lot.  After I got the eventbrite page up, it was Jim Bob Howard that I reached out to.  He was there when we started planning the event.  He has an incredible passion around building community as a connector.  A lot of the early signups we had on the eventbrite were due to his work in helping us find the real SharePoint talent in Jamaica.  Jim Bob has spent many hours helping us connect with people that have a passion for technology that help us move mountains to put on successful events.

Roger really helped me focus on the event.  Every few days he’d ping me and ask me where we were at with venue, or the site, or updates on attendees.  Sadly, about a week before SharePoint Saturday Jamaica, Roger was hit by a drunk driver.  The collision could have easily killed him.  Despite the injuries to his leg, cheek and eye, he pushed through and came to speak.  His doctors orders were to not use his eyes, so he led a discussion on cloud computing.

At the SharePoint conference it was conversations with my new friend Jennifer Pearcy.  She has been traveling to the island for many years and has a deep passion and love for the people.  All of the speakers paid out of pocket to get to Jamaica, but Jennifer traveled the furthest.  She flew from Saskatchewan Canada, to Vancouver and on down to Jamaica.  She also traveled with an extra suitcase filled with school supplies and soccer balls for a school she’s been supporting every time she comes.  That’s awesome.  I got my first dose of connecting with the kids in Nine mile, when I shared some extra pens that were in my bag.  The kids really liked the yammer pen and were almost ready to fight over it.  I also emptied my bag of some of my speaker shirts, so if you’re in Nine Mile and you see a SharePoint speaker shirt, you know where it came from.

Over time, the registration grew and we had 20, then 30, then 40 registered.  After SPC14 (the SharePoint Conference in Vegas) I ran into Craig, the organizer of SharePoint Saturday Bermuda.  Which itself was a great event.  When I chatted with him about what I was doing in Jamaica he wanted to help.  He connected me with George from Microsoft over much of the Caribbean.  George connected us to  Marcelle Smart, the Microsoft country manager in Jamaica.  Over the course of the next few weeks we’d work out a venue (JAMPRO), and almost lost the event when we found out it was going to conflict with the countries largest and most important sporting event. CHAMPS.  I continued to push for the event despite the conflict, and we kept it on track.  Marcelle from Microsoft, really took care of us.  When we were setting up our Speaker dinner she invited us to join the IT Community dinner fish fry in Kingston.  This is where we met some of the most influential IT folks on the island and would have an opportunity to promote the event event further.

WP_20140329_10_14_54_Pro

I’ll save my travel photos of the beautiful island for my travel blog (post coming soon), but we really had an incredible time connecting with the people.  I rented a car and drove from Montego Bay to Kingston and had a day of adventure on either side of the event in my travels to Ocho Rios, hiking Dunns River falls, and visit to the Bob’s houses on Hope Road, Trench town, and deep in the jungle in the hills in Nine mile.  All of which I recommend.

Hope Road Bob Marley Experience

When we first arrived at the venue on Saturday morning. I was starting to get a little nervous.  Would anyone show up?  Slowly but surely we had a solid showing which included a great diversity of talent with many of the people there showing real depth and experience in SharePoint with more than a few going back as far as SharePoint 2003.  In addition we had real records managers, admins, developers, and people from some of the most important companies in Jamaica.  This wasn’t a room of students with no connection to SharePoint.  All of them had powered through on their own, so meeting others had that much more of an impact each other.  It was fascinating at lunch to listen to them get to know each other and quickly have a ton in common.  I love being in a position to help build a community and what I witnessed here was the birth of the SharePoint community in Jamaica.  Microsoft has lent their support, and all of the people who attended raised their hands in interest in joining the user group.  Afterwards, I connected with Renee who traveled over 2 hours to be there.  It doesn’t take many of those to make me feel and know that my little sacrifice of my time and money was worth it to help these awesome people get further in their careers and in their lives as technology in nations like Jamaica means opportunity and change.  It transforms the lives of people.  It’s cool  to be part of that transformation and help enable the change.

IT Community SharePoint Speaker Dinner

If anyone has doubts about the impact of building community.  All they really need to do is visit a SharePoint Saturday event.  These events are built by the community for the community.  No one gets paid and everyone sacrifices their weekend and these are the strong ones.  You meet the ones that sacrifice the most to share their passion for technology and changing their families and communities.

WP_20140328_23_26_33_Pro

After the speaker dinner a few of us went out to Mas Camp, a festival leading up to Carnival.  While there I met a randomly met a SharePoint Admin named Richard, he recognized my SharePoint shirt.  Richard spends his time working on SharePoint and has spent many hours writing powershell scripts and doing support and maintenance for the platform.  Amazing.  You didn’t think that could happen in Jamica, did you?  He even reads this blog! Don’t underestimate the power of technology and community.  Out of Chaos comes order or better said, out of many one people.  I see that in our community…  When we come together as one, there’s nothing we can’t accomplish.

yammer

My new friend Chris Reckord and his awesome yammer shirt!  Yep, Yammer has fans in Jamaica too!  The power of social!!!

My hope is for the Jamaican Community to grow and flourish.  It will help the careers of many and strengthen the companies as it grows.  It is now in the hands of the locals.  Next time I go to Jamaica it won’t be an event that I’ve organized, it will be the SharePoint Community in Jamaica that will be hosting and inviting speakers from around the globe to come and visit this amazing island and becoming one people from many.  In the words of Bob Marley… “One Love, One Heart… Let’s get together and feel alright!”