I’ve been following WebTrends since the mid 90s. I know there are some good competitors out there these days. But I’ve been trying to get them to pay attention to SharePoint for some time. Just recently they posted an article/whitepaper on WebTrends for SharePoint that peaked my interest. It’s apparently a solution brief on using WebTrends with SharePoint.
So aparently WebTrends adds a bot in the SharePoint template that tracks the information that it needs.
Here are some of the Unique SharePoint Reports:
- WebParts Viewed
- Breadcrumbs Report
- Document Actions
- Activity by User
- User Specific Document Action
They do call out some requirements. I’m not sure why they say Intranet. Seems this would also be useful for Internet sites:
• An existing or planned Webtrends Analytics implementation using Webtrends Professional Services.
• Minimum version of Microsoft Office SharePoint Services (MOSS) 2007. This offering is not available for MOSS version 2003 or prior.
• The recommended environment is an Intranet-based Microsoft Office SharePoint 2007 implementation using the standard Master templates and themes
• Webtrends SmartSource Data Collector (SDC) data collection method
Here’s the PDF again if you missed it.
Let me put out a disclaimer that I’m not associated with Webtrends or getting paid by them. I’m just excited to see them doing something. I still think the Nintex Reporting 2008 will give you much more detail around SharePoint as it is designed specially for it. The reporting in Quest Site Administrator, the company I work for is a good start at collecting information and includes 30 reports, but requires some extra effort to gather and report on what you’re looking for. I’d actually think that’s the case with nearly all of these products. It’s going to take some effort to gather what you’re interested in.